Friday, October 27, 2006

careers..

Just when the exams are around the corner, my shedule is packed with assignments. Assignments is really delaying alot of stuff. The lectures that i miss, the tutorials that i needed to do and now, after 6 weeks of assignments, i am 6 weeks behind. I won't deny the fact that my time management is bad, the only thing i can do now is regret on the precious time that i waste on uncessary stuff.

Anyway, i got a good news for myself. I was offered an internship at KPMG singapore through CPA. This is definately a good start for me because KPMG is one of the big4 auditing firms and the experience will be very valuable when i do auditing, and taxation next year. But what i am interested is the experience that i gained. No matter what, a student with working experience is more valuable than a student without any. There are also some employers may prefer one with more working experience than one with higher grades. Whats more, KPMG is just beside lao pa sat. I guess half of my salary will be used to patronize that hawker center.

I just heard from Kevin that recently the New Paper had published an article about the Big4 actually offer places and CPA to oversea graduates who are not even graduate in commerce/business! That is quite shocking to me because i always thought local graduates who have direct honours will be more preferable. I guess i am wrong. It stated that local graduates can't handle work unlike oversea graduates do.

To be frank, i really dun know whats the difference between local and oversea graudates. I guess the real difference is that oversea graduates are given the opportunity to study what they interested in. Ask all my friends in singapore, there are quite few people are actually given first choice to what field they want to study due to limited space. It is essential to study in the field that you are interested in. Interests is what drive people motivation to innovate. Whats the point of doing something in a field that you dislike. Doing for the sake of living?

In truth, accouting is never my first choice. I always want to be an architect. Since young, i like lego and love to build things from scratch. I score in arts when i am given the opportunites to draw buildings or maps. I like to build models or other objects. However, my parents are strongly disagree with it when i told them i wanna do architecture. They are quite worried for me that i won't be able to get a job after seeing how playful i am. Eventually, i took up accounting. This is definately a field which offers the highest demand for jobs. No matter what kind of firm, it definately needs an accoutant.

In some way, yes, i did give up my dream. But that dosen't mean is the end of the world. I did think before that next time i do part time studying on architecture, and work full time. But of course i can do other self-entertaining things like building models.. Well, the future is full of uncertainities, we will see how it goes.

I miss scouting. Haha, for some reason i wanna go back to help the scouts. Through scouting, i learn alot and find something fun other the studying and gaming. If not for scouts, i will be just be a nerd who like to play games. But since i am working this holiday, and i heard CCA had push to friday, i guess the chances to go back to help is rather slim.

I got a close friend of mine recently had broke down due to problems. Before it happened, i have to admit in some way i feel he deserved it. But now i am feeling quite sympathetic of him because i have been in his position before. Yet i believe someone will grow stronger when he/she has experience really bad. But no matter how bad the road turns out to be, don't give up and stop walking. It is alright to sit down, take a breadth before u walk. And don't let anger take control and walk to the evil side of the road.

I have some other advice but i will leave it in my next entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home